Roof and Skylights

Wasn’t prepared for this to be quite such an epic phase of home improvements. I think the thing to remember is all phases are epic in one way or another. The roofers showed up at 6:45am on Tuesday much to my surprise. Turns out they thought they told me but hadn’t.

Then the contractor asked me to go buy skylights based on sizes we had selected. After I ordered them, he then changed his mind and said a smaller size would be better!! I couldn’t change the order, much problem solving ensued. I think it will be ok, I am hoping it will. The skylights aren’t here until Monday slowing everything down. Also, I guess the roof is more work than expected. The skylight install is costing more Than I thought, of course. Skylights are going in both bathrooms and the kitchen. So my roof is torn off, there are holes in my ceiling from which I can see sky and of course, of course, it rained Thursday night! Thankfully just a little.

The roofers took out the direct TV, much to Charlie’s horror, but he is surviving. The contractor had to take the heat and AC off line as he had to move the unit for the kitchen skylight. He said it would be just for a day but it’s been a few already and it looks to be a warm weekend. I just need to remember all home improvements are epic.

View from my kitchen


For the First Time in Forever

Or at least the first time since we have lived here I have a working oven! It is very exciting. After the Thermidor got an official death certificate from a vintage oven specialist (I tried everything to save it, I really did), it was time to move on. So using some of the home equity money I bought a new Kitchen Aid micro and wall oven combo and an inexpensive ikea cabinet to house it. The old cabinet was too small for any oven I’d want to be a forever oven so this is my solution. Now I have my new oven and don’t have to wait until the whole kitchen is done. It took most of a week, a rather frustrating week with limited kitchen access but finally it’s done. There is still finishing work of course but it’s totally usable!




Home Equity loan

So it’s done, I’m signing the papers today.!!!!

As I mentioned it’s not for as much as I initially hoped but it’s enough to do some fun and some needed projects. The main things are the roof/electric panel/skylights/solar which all sorta need to happen together and the the front landscaping project. I also ordered a new oven as mine got an official death certificate from the antique appliance repair person. There are a few other things but I’ll have to wait and see what the above actually costs to see if they can be done. I also hope the tax credit from the solar will be enough that I can do one of the bathrooms with it early next year. So it’s exciting, and a little frustrating that I can’t do it all (kitchen, bathroom remodels and backyard improvements) but it’s a process and I’m looking forward to it all.

Front and side yard

So here is the new and final landscape design by Liz Duer for the front and side yard. Originally, I was working with someone else and she did a fine job, but I felt Liz just got what I wanted more. I signed the contract today and work should start next week or the week after depending on when the roof is done. It’s really exciting as I will have a gorgeous front yard AND start conserving water with all that lawn gone AND I’ll finally have a path to the house that’s not the driveway. And I’ve got my LA DWP turf rebate already approved so I’ll get money back for every square foot of grass I remove!




Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 102 other followers